Mundy’s Home Inspection, Inc.
Ten Tips to Speed Up Your Home Inspection
Sellers can speed their home inspection by following these suggestions. The inspection will go smoother, with fewer concerns to delay closing.
- Confirm that water, electric and gas service are on, with gas pilot lights burning.
- Ensure pets won’t hinder the inspection. Ideally, they should be removed from premises or secured outside. Tell your agent about any pets at home.
- Replace burned out bulbs to avoid a “Light is inoperable” report that may suggest an electrical problem.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, and replace dead batteries.
- Clean or replace dirty HVAC air filters. They should fit securely.
- Remove stored items, debris and wood from foundation. These may be cited as “conducive conditions” for termites.
- Remove items blocking access to HVAC equipment, electric service panels, water heaters, attics and crawl spaces.
- Unlock areas the inspector must access or move stored items around – attic doors or hatches, electric service panels, closets, fence gates and crawl spaces.
- Trim tree limbs to 10′ from the roof and shrubs from the house to allow access.
- Attend to broken or missing items like doorknobs, locks and latches; windowpanes, screens and locks; gutters, downspouts and chimney caps.
Checking these areas before your home inspection is an investment in selling your property. Your real estate agent will thank you!